Machine Learning Engineer
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About Diagnostics at Owkin
Our ambition is to potentiate precision diagnosis in oncology with artificial intelligence applied to digital pathology. Pathology slide images, taken from biopsied or resected tissues, are a yet-untapped, ultra-high dimensional data modality that offer a huge potential for deep learning application to better understand disease, optimize patient care & improve treatment decisions.
We have for instance developed two products based on AI and digital pathology to tackle major challenges in precision oncology:
The first one is about evaluating the risk of relapse in early breast cancer for a better adaptation of the therapeutic strategy. The second one is about decreasing the burden of MSI screening for patients with Colorectal cancer. If detected, the MSI phenotype leads to a very specific care pathway with a treatment based on immunotherapy improving the chance of survival for the patient.
About the role
We are looking for a passionate and motivated machine learning engineer to join our team.
The Machine Learning Engineer is an intermediate between pure Data Science and pure Software Development, as outlined by the following diagram. Their role is to understand and implement Machine Learning algorithms and implement them at a production level.
In this position, you will be responsible for the development of machine learning algorithms, internal libraries and tools, as well as working with our product teams to translate these creations into production. The successful candidate must have a cross-discipline background in machine learning and software engineering, and have a passion for tackling large and challenging real-world problems in the field of medical science.
Position is based in Paris, Nantes or remotely in France.As such, the candidate must possess authorization to work legally in France.
- 2+ years of industry experience with a Masters degree or 5+ years with a BS, in software engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, or an associated field
- Python development expertise
- Experience in production environments: Documentation / Specification, Unit tests, Deployment, Code optimisation, Code versioning
- Knowledge and familiarity of machine learning fundamentals, from linear models to convolutional networks. A good grasp of concepts such as bias-variance tradeoff, under/overfitting, curse of dimensionality etc.
- Proficiency with Machine Learning and Deep Learning frameworks (PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Development experience in Linux/Unix-like environments
- Authorization to work legally in France
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite; additional language skills in French would be preferred
Candidates not meeting every criteria, but who can demonstrate exceptional skill in key areas, are invited to apply.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in medical industry, including write software requirements / specifications, verification testing, and applicable standards (in particular ISO 13485 and ISO 62304)
- Experience in cyber security and applicable standards (in particular ISO 27001)
- Participation in data science projects.
- Experience with cloud computing services such as GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.
- Proficiency with container-based deployments: Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Experience with system languages (C/C++) or scientific computing languages (Julia, R, etc.)
- Experience in Agile Scrum Methodology
- Contribution to publications at machine learning conferences and journals (NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, etc.) or experience in writing scientific article for peer-reviewed journals
- ...enjoy working in a small, passionate team where your contributions will have a direct impact.
- ...value process, standards, communication, and code quality.
- ...want to help build never-before-seen technologies.
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- Notify Owkin's recruitment unit at this address firstname.lastname@example.org
- contact the following authorities:
Trouve un emploi 100% en télétravail
En t'inscrivant à RemoteFR tu reçois des offres d'emploi 100% remote toutes les semaines dans ta boîte mail. Plus besoin de passer des heures à chercher sur les sites d'annonces, je le fais pour toi!