SumUp enables businesses to get paid easily, process orders quickly, sell online instantly and manage their money more efficiently. We create the tools businesses need to make their business and their customer experience thrive!
As a key member of the Global Bank tribe, you’ll play a key part in helping us build SumUp's own digital bank. You’ll be part of a global, autonomous, cross-functional team that takes an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution. Becoming a part of the Global Bank Tribe means working alongside ~250 people with 32 nationalities across Cologne, Berlin, São Paulo, Santiago, Sofia and Vilnius who love to take ownership, work with purpose and help businesses thrive.
As a Senior Backend Engineer (Elixir), you will join our our Card Squad - which is responsible for providing card services to account holders in the EU. Join the team and support the transition from a localized setup with regional banks to a unified Global Bank.
Location: Remote based within EU or hybrid at any of our office locations across EU.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other software developers, QAs, DevOps engineers, designers, product managers and other key stakeholders to design and implement backend services and APIs, clarify problems, outline opportunities, prototype solutions, ensure smooth deployment, continuous integration and support existing functionalities
- Work in a global context with teams in Europe, US and Latin America
- Provide comprehensive documentation and high test coverage
- Actively participate in selection of new tools, technologies and processes, code reviews and pair programming with other software engineers
- Build capabilities which bring value to millions of users
- Constantly adopt and actualize best practices with the team
You’ll be great for this role if:
- You are proficient in Elixir and are interested in Kotlin, Java, or Golang
- You have demonstrated an ability to learn new functional languages and technologies
- You have an in-depth knowledge of distributed microservice architecture and Restful APIs
- You feel comfortable working with SQL and NoSQL databases
- You have an excellent understanding of software architecture and application design
- You have solid debugging, optimization and problem-solving skills
- You have experience with CI/CD products such as GitHub Actions, Jenkins, ArgoCD
- You love to mentor people and share knowledge
- You have a passion to write clear, concise and testable code that your team can understand, maintain and improve
Any of the following would be considered a plus
- Good understanding of modern cloud environments - AWS, Terraform, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- You have experience with event streaming platforms and messaging brokers such as Kafka and RabbitMQ
- University degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or a related field
Why you should join SumUp
- We’re a truly global team of 3200+ people from 80+ countries, spread across 4 continents
- The opportunity to work on large scale fintech products used by millions of small businesses around the world
- A dedicated annual Learning & Development budget (2000Euro / year) for attending conferences and/or advancing your career through further education
- Enrollment onto our virtual stock ownership program - you will own a stake in SumUp’s future success
- A corporate pension scheme
- The opportunity to work on large scale fintech products used by millions of businesses around the world
- Access to the SumUp Sabbatical, our Employee assistance program for mental health as well as Fitness and Transport allowance and language learning benefits.
- You’ll attend global offsites and/or hackathons
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.
Job Application Tip
We recognise that candidates feel they need to meet 100% of the job criteria in order to apply for a job. Please note that this is only a guide. If you don’t tick every box, it’s ok too because it means you have room to learn and develop your career at SumUp.
Poster une annonce 100% télétravail
Vous recrutez en télétravail?
Ciblez des milliers de travailleurs remote en postant sur le 1er site d'annonces full-remote en France!