Principal Data Scientist for Biomarker & Target Identification
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role:
As a Lead/Principal Scientist you will lead high-impact research projects at the interface of machine learning, computational biology, bioinformatics and drug discovery & development.
These projects will be focused on building machine learning models from multimodal data (genomic data, histology, radiology, clinical,...), to identify new biomarkers, therapeutic targets, drug combinations, indications expansions and optimized drug development strategies.
You will be part of the R&D team and will collaborate with Owkin’s scientists and/or external collaborators (academic researchers / pharmaceutical companies) to deliver these research projects centered around specific cancer diseases.
In particular, you will:
- Lead research projects interacting with academic partners and/or pharma (involving publication, mentoring of junior scientists,...) to better understand disease mechanisms, and to generate new hypotheses about potential therapeutic strategies
- Develop internal research projects to advance core scientific methodologies, focusing on the development of methods leveraging multi-modal patient data (multi-omics as well as histology, radiology and clinical data) to improve the precision of biomarker and target identification approaches
- Work in collaboration with other Owkin departments to support marketing, business development & communications activities .
*The responsibilities missions described are not an exhaustive list; additional tasks may be assigned or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.*
Position is based in our Paris or London offices or remotely.
Required qualifications / experience:
- PhD or MSc in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics or related field with relevant industry or academic experience
- Prior experience in leading large scientific projects with demonstrated ability to write detailed research plans and reports
- Demonstrated ability to lead several scientists to achieve scientific objectives
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or R with demonstrated knowledge of exploratory analysis and data visualisation.
- Expertise working with -omics data, in particular in single cell and spatial omics technologies, with a strong publication record.
- Experience working in target or drug discovery settings is a plus.
- Familiar with machine learning toolkits and concepts (scikit learn, xgboost, cross validation, statistical tests, …). Experience with deep learning frameworks (Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc.) strongly preferred.
- Team first, highly collaborative mindset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluent in English. Fluent in French is a plus.
- Highly organised and meticulous about details; capable of tackling complex problems logically and effectively; fun to work with; honest; excited to work hard in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; …
- Passionate about the intersections of healthcare and AI
- Proficiency in next-generation sequencing data analysis (RNA-Sequencing, DNA-Sequencing, etc…)
- Previous experience with target identification approaches in oncology is a plus
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- Notify Owkin's recruitment unit at this address firstname.lastname@example.org
- contact the following authorities:
Trouve un emploi 100% en télétravail
En t'inscrivant à RemoteFR tu reçois des offres d'emploi 100% remote toutes les semaines dans ta boîte mail. Plus besoin de passer des heures à chercher sur les sites d'annonces, je le fais pour toi!